Two China Dolls and a Prince!

This blog chronicles the story of 2 of our adoptions, both older children when they came home. It begins in 2008 and will continue in the hopes we can be of encouragement and information to anyone thinking of older child adoption.



Saturday, August 11, 2012

Guangzhou!

We got to Guangzhou Friday, the 10th, two hours later than we were supposed to due to sitting on the plane for two hours before takeoff.  My biggest regret about leaving Chengdu is I didn't get the opportunity to get any province-specific souveniers/momentos for NingNing.  Neither guide ever took me anywhere to shop.  Our "good" guide, Ray, did finally, the last evening, take us to a very nice quaint shopping street, but wouldn't stop walking long enough for me to shop!  There were so many people I kept checking to make sure the boys were with me.

Today we had NingNing's medical appointment.  He was not happy about it, but didn't put up a fuss or anything.  However, when they got him in and pulled out the needles, all of a sudden, he sat straight up and said "Wahhhh, Wahhhhh!".  This is what he says when something impresses, surprises, or freaks him out.  He toughed it out though and the TB bump is looking ok.  The doctor kept coming out and ordering him to sit up straight; too funny!  I had asked our guide to let NingNIng know he could eat as much as he wants wherever we go because he usually eats only one plate at breakfast and refuses to get more.  I thought maybe he thought he wasn't allowed or something.  She told me he said he wasn't used to eating breakfast as he usually didn't eat until lunchtime??!!  No wonder he only weighs 98 pounds at about 5'7"!  Turn him sideways and he almost disappears! 
Communication is coming along thanks to Jibbigo and our translation app on the tablet.  I've learned a few key phrases and tonight he finally started trying to help us learn how to say the Chinese words the right way.  He seems to have an accent that makes it hard for him to understand us unless we say it exactly like he's heard it, so we're trying!  He laughs at us which is ok :).  We really try to encourage him whenever he says any English word (thumbs up, "Ok!", Hao (good)).  At least he is willing to try a few words more now.  

Went to dinner with the Gerbers (not the Horns-I had the wrong last name!) and Yan Ping, NingNing's foster sister.  She's still enamored with him and now they've established kind of a brother/sister teasing thing while NingNing just looks on laughing and kind of shaking his head.  Can't tell for sure, but don't think he and YanPing got along very well.  He's so easygoing and she kind of takes charge, so I can see that.

Earlier in the day, James took NingNing up to the pool.  At first, he said he'd never been swimming, then after a bit, when I asked him "you like to try?" he finally relented and stripped down right there at the pool to put on the trunks I brought (while I turned my back).  THEN he cannonballs into the pool and starts swimming like a fish!  He was holding out on us, which makes me wonder if he's doing the same thing with the English.  That will remain to be seen; when he's in America and English is all he hears, it may be a different story.

More paperwork tomorrow, then off to my favorite place, the Shangxiajiu Pedestrian Street.  James is looking forward to the plentiful camera opportunities of pretty girls!

No comments: